AmeriCorps is a network of local, state, and national service programs that connects more than 75,000 citizens(nearly 2,000 in MA) each year in intensive service to meet our country’s critical needs in education, the environment, public safety (including disaster preparedness and response), health, etc. Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve.
SCI AmeriCorps receives fiscal, in-kind, and technical support from the following partners:
The Massachusetts Service Alliance (MSA), established in 1991, is a private, nonprofit organization that serves as the state commission on community service and volunteerism. Its mission is to catalyze the innovation and growth of service and volunteerism by creating partnerships that maximize resources, expertise, capacity, and impact.
The AmeriCorps Agency (formerly know as CNCS) was established in 1993, and is a federal agency that engages more than 5 million Americans in service through its core programs — Senior Corps, AmeriCorps, and the Social Innovation Fund. As the nation’s largest grant maker for service and volunteering, the AmeriCorps Agency plays a critical role in strengthening America’s nonprofit sector and addressing our nation’s challenges through service.
The SCI AmeriCorps Program
The SCI AmeriCorps program builds the capacity of youth-serving organizations in Boston, Lawrence, Lowell, Chelsea, Lynn and Woburn to address the need to connect opportunity youth with the people, experiences, and resources that increase their prospects for success.
The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by increasing volunteerism and providing leadership training and community service opportunities for youth. Since 2007, SCI AmeriCorps members have served at various host sites, who are aligned with the mission of Social Capital Inc.
SCI anticipates having 25 full-time AmeriCorps members for the 2022-2023 Service Year who will engage in capacity building activities that enhance the ability of youth-serving nonprofits in the Greater Boston area to engage volunteers and offer youth enrichment programming.
Benefits of hosting an SCI AmeriCorps Member
- A full-time SCI AmeriCorps member (approx. 40 hours per week) serving at your organization from September 2022 – June 2023 (10 months), selected in partnership between the program and host site.
- SCI AmeriCorps members will be prepared for service activities by participating in a 40-hour SCI Member Training Program during the first months of service that will focus on best practices in the following areas:
- Volunteer Management, Building Social Capital, Community Outreach, Youth Development, Project Management, and an introduction to DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
- SCI provides the AmeriCorps members with an initial orientation in addition to ongoing professional development opportunities throughout the service year.
- Orientation and ongoing training opportunities for the Host Site’s member supervisor; Host Site visits are held with members and host site supervisors to address host site needs and evaluate member progress.
- Administration of monthly member surveys to gauge members’ service experience, personal progress, and monitor any concerns.
- Administration of monthly host site supervisor surveys to monitor the ongoing progress of members and share any concerns about members’ performance.
- SCI provides ongoing member support and any possible issues throughout the service year.
Becoming an SCI AmeriCorps Host Site Partner
SCI AmeriCorps members will be placed at partner agencies that can demonstrate strong alignment with SCI’s mission and the goals of the SCI AmeriCorps program.
Basic Eligibility Requirements:
- 501(c)3 Organization or Local Government in Massachusetts
- SCI AmeriCorps members cannot displace a current employee or serve in a regular staff position.
- Role of the SCI AmeriCorps Member must align with position description of an SCI AmeriCorps member as well as SCI’s mission and program goals.
- Alignment of host site position description with SCI AmeriCorps description.
- Alignment with SCI’s mission and goals.
- Strength of member supervision plan.
- Priority given to organizations serving the Massachusetts communities of Boston, Chelsea, Lowell, Lynn, Lawrence or Woburn.
- Added consideration will be given to organizations with capacity to create additional impact in their community through other programmatic partnerships or collaborations with SCI.
- Host sites that can help with recruiting local candidates will be looked upon favorably. Timely response to potential candidates is essential.
Eligibility Considerations For Returning Sites:
- Performance related to program goals and outcomes.
- Successful completion of Member Reports, member reviews, timesheets, member paperwork, etc.
- Positive member support and experience.
- Application reflects a careful review and understanding of SCI AmeriCorps program changes detailed in the 2022-2023 Host Site Application Instructions.
NOTE: Returning host sites that were granted a member (or members) in 2021-2022 but did not have their position(s) filled can contact SCI directly for an alternative application process.
Before applying for a position as an SCI AmeriCorps Host Partner Site, organizations are strongly encouraged to review the 2022-2023 Host Site Application Instructions.
For priority consideration, new and returning host sites should submit their completed application by Friday, March 31st, 2022, at 6 PM through this form: https://bit.ly/hostwithsci. After the March 31st deadline, additional applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
If you plan to apply, please submit your “Letter of Interest” form by March 18th, 2022, so that we know to expect an application from you (optional). That form can be accessed here: https://bit.ly/hostloi.
- March 18, 2022 – Intent to Apply Due (not required, but recommended)
- March 31, 2022 – Host Site Application due; Rolling Applications begin
- April 15, 2022 – First Round Host Sites selected and notified
- April 18, 2022 – Selection and notification of Rolling Application Host Sites begin
- April 2022 – July 2022 – SCI AmeriCorps works with selected Host Sites to Recruit and Select AmeriCorps Members
- August 29, 2022 – Service Year Begins