Robert Putnam's Saguaro Seminar for Civic Engagement in America was the first to create a practical list of 150 Things You Can Do to Build Social Capital. At our past All Corps Day, SCI AmeriCorps members participated in a competitive brainstorming exercise to see which team could come up with the most ways to build social capital in the community. We took some of the groups' ideas that were not mentioned on Putnam's list to come up with our own list:
Presenting "50 More Ways to Build Social Capital"
1. Organize a scavenger hunt with employees or fellow church goers.
2. Organize a “tweet up” in your community.
3. Attend an outdoor concert in your community.
4. Eat a picnic lunch at a local park.
5. Offer to lead a class for people with developmental disabilities.
6. Go on a photo walk in your community.
7. Visit with senior citizens.
8. Go for walks with your dog at a dog park.
9. Advocate at the state house for a cause you support.
10. Take part in a rally.Read more